The Swindon heritage action zone
Review of the railway village and railway works conservation areas
Earlier this year heritage consultants Purcell carried out a review of these conservation areas. Having completed their research and consultation, they have produced a draft planning document, Swindon Railway Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Plan (CAAMP).
It recommends that:
- the 2 separate conservation areas be merged into one which we propose to rename the ‘Swindon Railway Conservation Area’
- the boundary of the conservation area be extended to include:
- Station Road and the area around the station
- the southern side of Faringdon Road between Fleet Street and Milton Road
- the Health Hydro block
- the Pattern Store site and adjacent car park (Designer Outlet West)
This document sets out the vision for the future of Swindon’s Railway Conservation Area and a framework to guide change.
It will be used to:
- raise awareness and inform people about Swindon’s railway history
- help preserve and enhance the special architectural or historic interest of the area
- guide new development within or affecting the area through the planning process
The conservation area map is also available below: