Getting access to information held about you

Swindon Borough Council wishes to be quite open about the type and extent of personal information it holds and is committed to working in accordance with data protection legislation*.
This section of the website tells you about your right to see your personal information and the things that you will need to do if you decide that you want to see your personal information. It also tells you about how we will respond to your request and circumstances which may affect what you can see. 
Please follow the links to the right for more information.

Social Care Records

If you have had dealings with any of our Social Care teams (Adult Social Care or Children and Families), then it's likely that they hold information about you.

We have produced a brochure which explains which records might exist, which ones you may have access to, and how you can apply for access.

The brochure is available as a downloadable file:

Social Care and You - Access to Your Personal Information (PDF)

*This refers to the Data Protection Act 1998. This section of the website is not a full statement of the law and does not detail all of your rights. It is concerned with your right to access your personal information.

Complaining about our Service

Your Right to Appeal

If you are unhappy about any aspect of the way in which Swindon Borough Council has dealt with your request for access to your personal information or if you consider that we have breached any of the principles of the Data Protection Act, you can request an assessment by the Information Commissioner:

The Information Commissioner

Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Tel: 01625 545700
Fax: 01625 524510




Was this information helpful?

Help us improve

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.