Coronavirus (COVID-19)

We are publishing frequent updates about the impact the Coronavirus outbreak is having on council services, along with health guidance and other key information for residents and businesses.

Apply for a section 171 licence to excavate or place materials on the highway

Placing materials on the highway

You need a section 171 licence to place materials or equipment on the highway, including the footway. 

A licence to place materials on the highway costs £42. and is valid for ten days. The fee is non-refundable. To complete the application, you will need to upload a copy of your public liability insurance certificate for at least £5 million. 

It is an offence, under section 171 of the Highways Act 1980, to place materials before the permitted date. Before making an application, you must make yourself familiar with the terms and conditions for this licence. We will charge £75 if we find you in breach of these terms and conditions.

You also need to plan a method for traffic management. For example:

  • Give and take
  • Stop and go boards
  • Temporary traffic signals
  • Road closure or restriction, including footway

To close or restrict a road, you also need to apply for a temporary traffic regulation order or restriction notice. You need to apply at least 12 weeks before the proposed start date of the works.

A Section 171 licence does not cover placing a skip or erecting scaffolding on the highway. You need to apply separately for a skip licence or scaffolding licence.

Apply for a section 171 licence to place materials on the highway

Was this information helpful?

Help us improve

Please don't include personal information such as your name and address.