Adult learning and skills for life
Swindon libraries offer many different free services to help you get back to work, open an email account, make the best use of your electronic devices or get online. We can help you get to grips with IT and teach you new skills for a career change or help you to improve your English speaking skills.
We currently offer:
- Job Clubs - where you can get help finding and applying for jobs online, writing that CV and setting up an email account. You can also get help with your Universal Credit application. These sessions run at the Central library on Wednesdays and Fridays from 10.00am to 1.00pm and at Penhill library every Tuesday from 12.00pm to 3.00pm.
- Conversation Clubs - the English Conversation Club is a great way to practice your English without any pressure of lessons, exams or homework. No need to book, just turn up and have a chat! We welcome all levels of English speaking skills. It is a great environment to make new friends, get to know Swindon and gain confidence in speaking English. Central library, Mondays from 4.00pm to 5.00pm and Wednesdays from 10.30am to 11.30am. For more details on Job Clubs and Conversation Clubs, e-mail: email@example.com
- Life Writing - learn how to write both poetry and prose or how to begin a novel or memoir. These are informal sessions that take place in various locations currently running at Park library on Wednesdays from 1.30pm to 3.30pm and Penhill library on Fridays from 1.15pm to 3.15pm. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Writers café - is a meeting place for new writers, experienced writers and anyone interested in writing. It takes place on the last Tuesday of the month from 7.00pm to 9.00pm at the cafe in Central library, Regent Circus SN1 1QG. For further information, e-mail email@example.com, call 01793 771080 or E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mentoring for writers - for those who have begun to write and need some help honing skills or for those who have completed a manuscript and wonder what to do next. Through Swindon Artswords we can provide a one on one advice session with our skilled and knowledgeable Literature Development worker. For more details see the Artswords website.
Computers and IT
IT help drop in sessions
This is for those with an IT related question or for those who need some help and advice with your phone or device or setting up an email account. You can get help with your IT queries at our IT drop in sessions, staffed by very helpful and knowledgeable volunteers.
- Central library - Monday to Friday from 10.00am to 12 noon on the 1st Floor
- North Swindon library – Mondays from 2.00pm to 4.00pm
- Highworth library – First and third Saturday of the month from 10.30am to 12.30pm
Digital skills courses
Our Adult Community Learning service offers free digital skills courses such as 'Internet for Beginners' and 'Microsoft for Beginners'. You can find details on all planned courses on the Adult Learning Community website.
To enrol on these courses, email:email@example.com or alternatively you can call us on 01793 466482.
To find out if you're eligible for these courses, visit our Adult Community Learning webpage.