Adult learning and skills for life
Swindon Libraries and Information Service offer many different free services to help you get back to work, open an email account, make the best use of your electronic devices or get online. We can help you get to grips with IT and learn new skills for a career change or improve your English speaking skills.
We currently offer:
- Job Clubs - where you can get help finding and applying for jobs online, writing that CV and setting up an email account. You can also get help with your Universal Credit application. These sessions run at the Central Library on Wednesdays and Fridays from 10.00am-1.00pm and at Penhill Library every Tuesday from 12.00pm to 3.00pm.
- Conversation Clubs - the English Conversation Club is a great way to practice your English without any pressure of lessons, exams or homework. No need to book, just turn up and have a chat! We welcome all levels of English speaking skills. It is a great environment to make new friends, get to know Swindon and gain confidence in speaking English. Central Library, Mondays 4.00pm to 5.00pm and Wednesdays 10.30am to 11.30am. For more details on Job Clubs and Conversation Clubs, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Life Writing - learn how to write both poetry and prose or how to begin a novel or memoir. These are informal sessions that take place in various locations currently running at Park Library on Wednesdays from 1.30pm to 3.30pm and Penhill Library on Fridays from 1.15pm to 3.15pm. E-mail: email@example.com for more details.
- Writers café - is a meeting place for new writers, experienced writers and anyone interested in writing. It takes place on the last Tuesday of the month
from 7.00pm to 9.00pm at the cafe in Swindon Central Library, Regent Circus SN1 1QG.
For further information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, call 01793 771080 or E-mail email@example.com
- Mentoring for Writers - for those who have begun to write and need some help honing skills or for those who have completed a manuscript and wonder what to do next. Through Swindon Artswords we can provide a one on one advice session with our skilled and knowledgeable Literature Development worker. For more details see the Artswords website.
Computers and IT
- iPad for Beginners - For those who want to learn how to use their iPad more effectively. This is an informal course over four weekly sessions of three hours each where you will learn in a friendly and informal atmosphere how to use a touchscreen, use Safari to explore the internet, download and use apps, access settings or use the camera.
These sessions run across all our core libraries at various different times so please contact us to find out when one is running near you and to register. Please telephone 07468 516960 or E-mail Racheal.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Exploring the Internet for Beginners - An ideal starter course for people who are unfamiliar with computers and the internet but want to begin their journey on the World Wide Web! This is an informal course over four weekly sessions of three hours each where you will learn how to use a mouse accurately, use the keyboard, use a search engine to find websites, use a browser to navigate websites and to use an e-mail account to send and receive mail..
These sessions run across all our core libraries at various different times so please contact us to find out when one is running near you and to register. Please telephone 07468 516960 or e-mail Racheal.email@example.com
- Microsoft Office for Home and the Workplace - For those who are unsure how to use Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint. This course over three weeks of 4 hour sessions is ideal for beginners and no prior skills are needed. It aims to give you the basics of these invaluable Office applications used in most businesses and organisations but also useful for your homelife. You will learn how to produce and edit letters in Word, create new spreadsheets in Excel, create presentations in Powerpoint, set up e-mail in Outlook, create folders and attach documents.
These sessions run across our core libraries at various different times so please contact us to find out when one is running near you and to register. Please telephone 07468 516960 or e-mail Racheal.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IT Help Drop In Sessions - For those with an IT related question or for those who need some help and advice with your phone or device or setting up an email account. You can get help with your IT queries at our IT Drop ins, staffed by very helpful and knowledgeable volunteers. Just drop in!
- Central Library - Monday to Friday from 10.00am to 12 noon on the First Floor
- North Swindon Library – Mondays from 2.00pm to 4.00pm
- Highworth Library – First and third Saturday of the month from 10.30am to 12.30pm