COVID-19 - Reopening our libraries
We will continue restarting library services in a phased process over the next few months. The phased restart will make sure we operate in line with Government guidance, and that you and our staff are safe at all times.
Click, Call and Collect service
Click, Call and Collect is available at Central, North Swindon, West Swindon and Highworth and Park libraries, allowing customers to reserve books online or by telephone on (01793) 463238.
Find out more: Click, Call and Collect service
'Quick Choice' browsing sessions
'Quick Choice' offers customers the opportunity to browse of a small selection of stock and choose books.
The sessions must be pre-booked by telephone or online at North Swindon, Highworth and Park Libraries. Quick Choice browsing sessions at Central and West Swindon libraries do not need to be pre-booked.
Find out more: 'Quick Choice' browsing sessions
A limited number of public network computers are available at each library. You can use a computer for a pre-booked 45-minute slot.
Find out more: Computer sessions
Job seekers and Universal Credit telephone support
Library computer users needing help with job searching, applications or Universal Credit, will be able to call our new dedicated telephone support line. Details will be provided at each of our public computers. This service will be available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays between 11.00am and 12 noon. Please note that the support line will be a mobile telephone number.
The Library Shop now offers a 'Shop, Select and Collect' service to purchase items from our range of stock.
Customers will need to browse stock via the Library Shop blog where they can view a full catalogue of products and prices. Then email firstname.lastname@example.org with their order and telephone number.
The Library Shop staff will phone customers to take their order and payment. Customers can then collect their Items during Central Library opening times.
For information on your local community library, not managed by Swindon Borough Council, visit our location and opening hours webpage and select your local library.
Services not currently available
While phased reopening continues, several library facilities and services remain unavailable during this initial phase. These are:
- Face-to-face enquiries
- Customer toilets and baby changing facilities
- Studying in the library
- Events, meetings or activities
- Story Times and Rhyme Times (these are online only
- Face-to-face Local Studies enquiries (the Local Studies team will continue with an email-only service: email@example.com)
Online services available to our library members
During lockdown, we improved our already extensive digital offer to make sure residents could continue enjoying library services. These include:
- Our new instant digital membership system, providing residents a faster and easier way to become library members
- An expanded range of eResources giving you free access to premium websites
- An increased and improved selection of eBooks, eMagazines and eNewspapers
- For the first time, a range of eComics are now available
- A series of regular online story times are now shared on YouTube and Facebook