Stopping smoking is the single most important thing you can do to dramatically increase your chances of living longer.
You don’t have to wait long for the benefits to start once you stop.
- In 20 minutes your blood pressure and pulse return to normal
- In 8 hours nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in your blood are halved
- In 24 hours carbon monoxide will be illuminated from your body and your lungs will have started to clear out the tar that’s been clogging them up
- In 48 hours no nicotine will be left in your body. Your senses of taste and smell are greatly improved
- In 72 hours your breathing becomes easier and your energy levels increase
- Between 2-12 weeks your circulation improves and exercise can be easier
- Between 3-9 months any coughs, wheezing and breathing problems improve
- If you smoke 20 a day you could save up to £210 in a month, which adds up to more than £2,500 in a year
Hand rolled tobacco
Over half of smokers in the South West are smoking hand rolling tobacco and many still believe that hand rolling tobacco is better for you and less dangerous than manufactured cigarettes. The Wise-Up to Roll-Ups campaign aims to dispel those myths. For more details smokers can visit the Wise-Up to Roll-Ups website.
Where to get help in Swindon
- The Swindon Stop Smoking Service is free and helps thousands of people to quit for good. Find out more by calling the Live Well Swindon hub on 01793 465513 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- You can increase your chance of successfully quitting and beating those cravings by using stop smoking aids such as patches, gum or lozenges. Prescription medications are also available.