Annual report 2023/24

Our budget - where our money comes from

What we call our "budget" is the amount of money we need to spend in a financial year. This runs from 1 April to 31 March the following year. We currently receive our money from:

  • Council Tax
  • business rates
  • central government (Revenue Support Grant)
  • fees, charges and other sources

Council Tax

Amount raised: £125.4m
Percentage of total: 21.2%

This comes from householders in the borough of Swindon who are eligible to pay Council Tax. The amount you are charged depends on the location and value of the property.

Business rates

Amount raised: £35.8m
Percentage of total: 6.1%

Business rates are like Council Tax, but for businesses instead of residents. Businesses in the borough pay the tax based on the size and value of their business property. They also vary depending on the type of business.

Business rates are collected by councils and then shared between central government, the fire authority and the council. In Swindon, we retain 32% of the total amount we collect. The government has indicated they want to change this in the future and let councils keep more of the business rates they collect.

Central government (Revenue Support Grant)

Amount raised: £5.2m
Percentage of total: 0.9%

Fees, charges and other sources

Amount raised: £424.1m
Percentage of total: 71.8%

We raise income through some services and other sources.

These include:

  • car parking
  • planning applications
  • fines
  • client contributions for care packages
  • grants and contributions for specific projects and services including education, public health and social care

Some income raised contributes to the cost involved in providing the service that generated the income. For example, the money generated from bus lane fines is used for maintaining roads. Some income goes into our general fund to pay for all services.

See: What we need to spend - Income and expenditure by service area

Archived Council Tax expenditure

To view annual report and Council Tax documents from previous years, visit our directory record:

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page