Annual report 2022/23
How we calculate your Council Tax bill
We have calculated Council Tax bills to make sure we reach the required budget for 2022/23. The table below shows how our net expenditure budget of £156.7m translates to an average yearly bill for a Swindon resident.
- Swindon Borough Council budget~
- Less central government funding - Revenue Support Grant
- Less business rates income
- Balance paid by Council Tax payers
- Divided by number of Band D equivalent homes **
- Average Council Tax amount for Band D properties the borough
- Add average Band D amount for Adult Social Care precept
- Add amount per household for the police authority
- Add amount per household for the fire authority
- Add average parish precept
- Average Band D Council Tax amount
~ This includes £13.9m, which is the amount raised from element of our charge that relates to the increased cost of adult social care.
** The number of Band D equivalent homes is a notional figure which takes into account the weighting given to each home when calculating the Council Tax (known as the tax base). For example, one Band A home is 6/9ths of a Band D equivalent, while a Band H home is twice a Band D equivalent. The tax base for 2022/23 is £76,784.00, a rise of £524.00 (0.7%) from the equivalent figure for 2021/22.