Gypsy and traveller call for sites

We are asking landowners to submit land to be considered for allocation to meet gypsy and traveller accommodation needs.

The Council published its Gypsy and Traveller and Travelling Showpeople Accommodation Needs (GTAA) which shows how many new pitches need to be provided up to 2036. To help meet the accommodation needs of the District's Gypsy and Traveller communities, the Council is looking to allocate sites through the Local Plan Review 2036.

A previous call for sites for gypsy and travellers was carried out in 2019 alongside the Regulation 19 consultation of the Local Plan 2036. No responses were submitted for gypsy and traveller use, and therefore we are carrying out a further call for sites for this particular use now.

As part of this we are asking landowners to put forward land that they think is suitable for this use. Submitting a site is not the same as applying for planning permission, but any sites which are submitted will be assessed for their suitability and will help the Council to make decisions over where to allocate. Planning permission would still need to be applied for, but if a site is allocated then it has been identified as acceptable for the use in principle.

We will publically publish our assessment of any sites submitted. If you have submitted land to a previous call for sites for other land uses, but would also want to see the site assessed for gypsy and traveller use, please submit this site again through this call for sites.

Sites can be submitted by completing and returning the form below. We will also need a map showing where the site is and what land it includes marked by a line on this map. Sites should have a minimum of 500sq.m of developable land for consideration.

Submissions can be returned by email to:

Alternatively, you can post to:

Forward Planning
Swindon Borough Council
5th Floor, Wat Tyler House
Beckhampton Street
SN1 2JG.

Completed forms should arrive by no later than 5.00pm on Wednesday, 23 June 2021.

If you have and difficulty making a site submission, or have any questions, contact Planning Policy, at the address above, and we will be able to help you.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page