Review of the railway village and railway works conservation areas
Earlier this year heritage consultants Purcell carried out a review of these conservation areas. Having completed their research and consultation, they have produced the following draft planning document:
This document sets out the vision for the future of Swindon’s railway conservation area and a framework to guide change as required by the Planning and Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas Act 1990.
It will be used to:
- raise awareness and inform people about Swindon’s railway history
- help preserve and enhance the special architectural or historic interest of the area
- guide new development within or affecting the area through the planning process
It recommends that:
- the 2 separate conservation areas be merged into one which we propose to rename the ‘Swindon Railway Conservation Area’
- the boundary of the conservation area be extended to include:
- the area along Station Road and the area around the station
- the southern side of Faringdon Road between Fleet Street and Milton Road
- the Health Hydro block
- the Pattern Store site and adjacent car park (Designer Outlet West)
About the consultation
We have identified and are consulting with a range of stakeholders who have an interest in the conservation area, although anyone with an interest is welcome to respond. Specific and targeted notification is also being sent to properties directly affected by the proposed boundary changes.
The consultation will run for 6 weeks from Monday, 21 September to Monday, 2 November 2020.
How you can get involved
We are keen to hear your views on the proposed changes to, and content of, the CAAMP. It contains all relevant information, including the implications and effects of designation.
The map below shows the ‘before’ and ‘after’ boundaries of the conservation area(s):
Hard copies of the draft CAAMP will be made available at Swindon Central Library for reference during the consultation period. Access will be subject to Swindon Libraries’ COVID-19 restrictions, and may be through a pre-booking appointment system.
Comments should be marked ‘FAO CA Review Comments’ and emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Consultation next steps
Following final amendments to the document in response to any comments received during the consultation, we will seek approval from the Council to adopt the final draft CAAMP as a Supplementary Planning Document (SPD).
The following may provide further useful information:
- To find out more about conservation areas, see the Historic England - information on Conservation Areas website
- To view the existing Railway Village and Railway Works conservation area appraisals, go to the Find out about conservation areas webpage.
- This project was funded through the Swindon Heritage Action Zone. To find out more see the Swindon Heritage Action Zone webpage.
Personal information provided will be used for the purpose of correspondence regarding the Railway Conservation Areas review only, in line with the Planning Policy Privacy Notice.