COVID-19 - Cases in businesses

If you are an employer, the information below tells you what you should do if anyone in your workplace develops symptoms of COVID-19.

Full up to date guidance can be found on the working safely during coronavirus (COVID-19) page of the Government website.

What to do if an employee develops symptoms

Staff members or customers should self-isolate if they have a high temperature, a new continuous cough, or a loss or change to their sense of smell or taste.

They must also self-isolate if they:

  • have tested positive for COVID-19
  • live in a household with someone who has symptoms, unless they’re exempt from self-isolation
  • have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace

If you know that a worker is legally required to self-isolate, you must not allow them to come to work. It is an offence to do this.

If an employee develops symptoms, they should complete a test as soon as possible. Their contacts in the workplace do not need to go into self-isolation at this point. They can find out more about booking a test on the NHS website.

What to do if an employee tests positive (a case)

Please contact the Swindon Public Health team’s COVID-19 Response Team by email if a single positive case is identified: The team can provide advice and guidance on what you should do, specific to your work location.

When should a business contact the PHE South West health protection team for support?

You should contact the PHE South West health protection team if:

  • the number of cases in your business exceeds five within 14 days
  • you think you might need to close because of the number of people affected
  • somebody from your workplace has been admitted to hospital
  • you are getting significant interest from local media

If you are unsure whether you need to contact the South West health protection team, you can contact the Swindon COVID-19 Response Team for advice:

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page