COVID-19 - Government support for businesses
Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) Addendum from 5 Jan 2021 onwards (LRSGCA5JAN)
This grant comes into effect from 5 January 2021.
About the grant
This grant scheme is for businesses that have been told by the Government to remain closed during the current national restrictions.
Applicants must have a live business rates account with Swindon Borough Council, even if the property has been awarded rate relief.
You must read the full criteria below to make sure you are eligible for the grant.
- Applicants can be sole traders, businesses, charities and community interest companies
- On 5 January 2021 businesses must have:
- not been in administration, insolvent or subject to a striking office notice
- not been an undertaking in difficulty (with the definition of Article 2(18) of the General Block Exemption Regulation)
- been actively trading (buying and selling goods or services) on the day before prevous tier restrictions required them to close
- Businesses must not have received more than 800,000 EUROS in state funding within the last three-fiscal year period. Please read the Government guidance about state aid
- Businesses which have found alternative, safe methods of trading e.g. new takeaway services may still be eligible for a grant. However, if the substantive business was already take-away or deliveries, they are not eligible.
- You must have a live business rates account to be eligible for this grant. The ratepayer according to council records as of 5 January 2021 will receive the grant if found eligible. If the grants team believes the payer’s details to be inaccurate, the grant may be withheld, and steps taken to identify the rightful recipient.
- Grants levels are set by the Government and will be allocated to eligible applicants based on the business property’s rateable value, according to council and Valuation Office records as of 5 January 2021. There is no appeal process in this regard.
- Eligible applicants will receive one grant per business property, so a business can apply for multiple grants.
- Applicants can apply for this grant in addition to previous grant schemes, and in addition to the Additional Restrictions Grant and/or the Closed Business Lockdown Payment.
- We will endeavour to protect against fraud and neither we nor the Government will accept deliberate manipulation and fraud.
- Any businesses falsifying information will face prosecution and any funding issued will be clawed back.
- Swindon Borough Council may verify and share any information from grant applications with other council departments and government departments.
- There is no appeals process if your application is rejected.
- The application window for this grant period will close on the 31 March 2021, with last payments made before 30 April 2021.
- Eligible applicants may receive the following fixed-rate grants per qualifying 42-day restriction period:
- £2,001 for properties with a rateable value of exactly £15,000 or under
- £3,000 for properties with a rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000
- £4,500 for properties with a rateable value of exactly £51,000 or above
Making your application
- Only company directors, owners, employees, or authorised representatives can make an application.
- You must read the grant scheme criteria first.
- You must first complete a universal business grant form, which will generate a unique business grant reference number. Please complete this form with as much detail as possible, even if you have already applied for other grants.You will need your unique business grant reference number when you complete the form.
- You will be asked to sign in to, or create an online account.
- The address for your account should be your Swindon business address, even if working from home.
- During the application, you will need to upload a copy of your personal photo identification (driving licence or passport). This can be a scanned document or a photograph, and must be a JPG, PDF or MS Word file, with a clear file name.
- You will need to upload further information and/or documents to aid your application.
- Please provide as much information as you can in each section. We will not consider applications that:
- are incomplete
- are made without the required documents uploaded
- are made after the application window closes
- If your business property meets the criteria of this grant scheme, you will then be directed to a very short form with just a couple of questions.
- If you need support making your application, email email@example.com explaining the help you need. Please note we receive many enquiries each day so it may take some time to respond.
- If the website is busy and affecting your application, please return later. We expect the website to be busiest before midday.
- If you are experiencing difficulties accessing the form, please note we recommend using the Google Chrome browser.
- We are processing grants as quickly as possible, but have very high numbers of applicants. We understand that these are challenging times for businesses, but please bear with us. You can check the progress of your application on your online account.