Find out about the Household Waste Recycling Centre
A tip is called a household waste recycling centre (HWRC). Only Swindon residents can use the HWRC on Cheney Manor Industrial Estate in Swindon.
- Not sure you live in Swindon borough? Check which council area you live in
You need bring proof of residency when you come to the HWRC. This could be a driving licence, Council Tax bill or a utility bill such as gas or electricity.
Before you visit, you can check the queue for the HWRC on the webcam.
Find the HWRC
Cheney Manor Industrial Estate
When you can visit
The HWRC is open every day except:
- Wednesdays (closed every Wednesday)
- Christmas Day (closed all day)
- Boxing Day (closed all day)
- New Year's Day (closed all day).
From 1 April to 31 October
- Monday - 8.00am to 5.00pm
- Tuesday - 8.00am to 5.00pm
- Wednesday - Closed
- Thursday - 8.00am to 8.00pm
- Friday - 8.00am to 5.00pm
- Saturday - 8.00am to 5.00pm
- Sunday - 8.00am to 5.00pm
From 1 November to 31 March
- Monday and Tuesday - 8.00am to 4.00pm
- Wednesday - Closed
- Thursday to Sunday - 8.00am to 4.00pm
What you can bring
You can bring the following materials from your home to the HWRC:
- Electrical household products (including fridges and freezers)
- Personal computers
- Scrap metal
- Garden waste
- Plastic bottles
- Batteries (including car batteries)
- Used engine oil
- General household waste
Requirements and charges
Any Swindon resident can use the HWRC to dispose of waste from their homes. This is free most of the time. However, you should be aware of the following requirements and charges:
- Household DIY waste created by a resident is limited to no more than five 25kg bags per vehicle. You must bring waste to the HWRC in sturdy bags so that you can unload them quickly.
- Plasterboard requires specialist disposal, so involves a cost. All plasterboard and mixed waste containing plasterboard will be charged at £3.50 per sheet or 25kg bag for up to five sheets or bags. We charge commercial rates for larger quantities.
- You must put household asbestos in a sealed bag or fully wrapped in plastic sheeting. We won't take asbestos that isn't wrapped in this way. We don't charge for household asbestos waste produced by the householder. See also: Dispose of asbestos safely
- Car and motorcycle tyres from residential premises cost £2.80 per item.
- We accept household chemicals that are in secure, sealed containers.
Controls on vans and trailers
Vans and trailers use a separate area to tip off. This is to improve safety and reduce waiting times for people bringing household waste in cars.
We inspect waste brought in a van or trailer to make sure that we charge correctly for non-household or commercial waste. We keep records to monitor compliance.
Householders using a van or trailer can make 12 visits per year, per household. You can arrange more visits by written request to the site operator, Public Power Solutions (PPS) Ltd. You can complete an application form on the PPS website and send it either:
- by email to email@example.com
- by post to the address above, marked 'Public Power Solutions'
PPS will only allow additional visits when the vehicle is carrying the householder's own household waste.
For general enquiries please contact the StreetSmart team:
- Tel: 01793 445501 (9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org