Book a visit to the Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC)
Where to go and what you can bring
The address of the Household Waste Recycling Centre is:
Cheney Manor Industrial Estate
When you can visit
You can only visit if you have pre-booked. We check bookings have been made before we allow vehicles on site.
The HWRC is now open everyday except Wednesdays, including weekends.
Opening times are:
- 8.00am to 5.00pm
A limited number of booking slots are set for every 30 minutes. The first slot is at 8.00am, the final slot is at 4.30pm.
You must arrive around five to ten minutes before your allocated booking time. Do not aim to arrive earlier than 15 minutes before your allocated booking time. If you miss your allocated booking time you will not be permitted entry and will need to re-book.
What you can bring on your visit
You can bring the following materials from your home to the HWRC:
- Batteries (including car batteries)
- Electrical household products (including fridges and freezers)
- Garden waste
- General household waste
- Personal computers
- Plastic bottles
- Scrap metal
- Tetra Pak cartons
- Used engine oil
Requirements and charges
Any Swindon resident can use the HWRC to dispose of waste from their homes. This is free most of the time. However, you should be aware of the following requirements and charges:
- Household DIY waste created by a resident is limited to no more than five 25kg bags per vehicle. You must bring waste to the HWRC in sturdy bags so that you can unload them quickly.
- Plasterboard requires specialist disposal, so involves a cost. All plasterboard and mixed waste containing plasterboard will be charged at £3.50 per sheet or 25kg bag for up to five sheets or bags. We charge commercial rates for larger quantities.
- You must put household asbestos in a sealed bag or fully wrapped in plastic sheeting. We won't take asbestos that isn't wrapped in this way. We don't charge for household asbestos waste produced by the householder. See also: Dispose of asbestos safely
- Car and motorcycle tyres from residential premises cost £2.80 per item.
- We accept household chemicals that are in secure, sealed containers.
Controls on vans and trailers
Vans under 3.5 tonnes and cars with trailers will use a separate area to dispose of their waste. This is to improve safety and reduce waiting times for people bringing household waste in cars without trailers.
We inspect waste brought in vans and trailers to make sure that non-household or commercial waste is not being taken to the site. We keep record to monitor compliance.
For general enquiries please contact the StreetSmart team:
- Tel: 01793 445501 (9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday)
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org