COVID-19 - Test and Trace Support payment schemes

Financial support for parents or guardians of children who have to self-isolate

We are able to provide financial support to qualifying residents on low incomes who are unable to work because their child has tested positive for coronavirus.

Residents who qualify can claim a one-off, lump sum payment of £500.

You may be eligible to apply if you have to take unpaid time off work to look after your child because your child has been asked not to attend their education or childcare setting after testing positive for coronavirus. There are several qualifying conditions, one of which is that you, and any partner you may have, must not be able to work from home.

To receive this payment:

Your child must:

  • be aged 15 or under (or 25 or under with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC)) and normally attend an education or childcare setting and
  • have tested positive for COVID-19 and have a valid Test and Trace number. As a contact of a positive person, you must also have a valid Test and Trace number.

You must:

  • make your application within 42 days (six weeks) of your child testing positive
  • be the parent or guardian making an application
  • be employed or self-employed on the day your child's isolations starts (and any partner you have must also be employed or self-employed)
  • have lost, or will lose, income by being unable to work from home while your child is isolating, because your employer will pay you less or not pay you during this time (and any partner must be unable to provide the child care without loss of income).  Please ensure you confirm with your employer that you will not be paid during your isolation period before making an application.
  • meet the low income threshold outlined below

You must also be receiving at least one of the benefits listed below. However, if you do not receive any of the specific benefits but meet the above criteria listed above, and will face financial hardship during your period of self-isolation, we will consider an application on a discretionary basis. 

Discretionary funding is limited and there is no appeals process if we are unable to make a payment to you.

Qualifying benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • income-based Employment Support Allowance
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit 

Low income threshold for discretionary payments

Families and single-parent households paying a mortgage or rent and utility bills must have an annual household income of less than £25,000 to be considered.

Apply for a parent or guardian Test and Trace Support payment

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page