Care Act, 2014
Phase 1 of the Care Act came into force on 1 April 2015 and a number of changes and provisions have been implemented, with further changes in the second phase being brought in from April 2020. Many of the changes that are being introduced are, in fact, already in practice within the Borough of Swindon. The key changes are detailed below:
Phase 1 - April 2015: Changes already implementedThe following were introduced on 1 April 2015:
- A new national definition of care and support needs, making care and support more consistent across the country.
- New support arrangements for Carers.
- The consistent implementation of ‘Deferred Payment Agreements’ across the country for care costs.
Phase 2 - Changes scheduled for April 2020A number of further changes will be introduced in April 2020. These will relate to the way people pay for care and support and will include:
- A lifetime cap on care costs. This will protect those with the greatest needs from facing unlimited costs.
- Extended financial support for people with modest means.
Further informationFor further information about the various changes, please follow the links to:
- Support for Carers (PDF)
- Needs and Eligibility (PDF)
- Deferred Payment Agreements (PDF)
- Cap on Care Costs (PDF)
- Care Act Details on Gov.uk website