Energy payment to Council Tax payers

Payments have now been issued to all the residents believed to be eligible.

Payments have either been paid into bank accounts or, letters with vouchers to be redeemed at the Post Office have been sent. If you have not received a payment and believe you are eligible, complete the online application form below.

If you have received a letter with a voucher which you cannot redeem, complete the online form below, stating that you have not received your payment. If possible, you should mention in the form that you cannot redeem the voucher you received and state the reason why.

There are some residents who pay by Direct Debit where payments could not be paid into their bank accounts. These residents, along with all the residents who do not pay by Direct Debit but are eligible for a payment, have now been paid by vouchers issued by the Post Office 

We will not call any residents to ask for their details over the phone. If someone rings you for this purpose, do not give your details to them. 

Discretionary scheme

We have a discretionary scheme for the £150 payments if you have not received a payment already. The funding for this is limited and the following residents will be eligible to claim, whilst funding is available.

  • Residents who reside in properties where the landlord pays the Council Tax (Band A to D) or Houses of Multiple Occupation or hostels where tenants have to pay energy bills or contributions to energy bills. Tenancy agreements and energy bills in their own names should be provided as part of the application.
  • Residents who live in a property with a Council Tax band that is reduced to a band between A and D from a higher band in the period up to 31 August 2022
  • Residents who reside in a property with a Council Tax band E to H that is occupied by a single person over State Pension age (66 years old)
  • Residents who reside in a property in Council Tax band E to H who have a ‘household’ annual income below £30,000 and savings of less than £5,000. Those in receipt of Council Tax Support should have been sent letters with vouchers to be redeemed at local Post Offices and so do not need to apply. 
  • Residents who moved into a Council Tax band A to D property in April or May who have not had a £150 energy payment previously on a former property
  • The recipients of Council Tax support (formerly known as Council Tax Benefit) who reside in a Council Tax band E-H property to automatically receive a £150 payment. These residents should have already received their letter with their voucher.

Energy payment application form

Further information on the payment is also available in the £150 government energy payment leaflet.

Conditions of payment

By accepting and receiving payment you agree to the following and understand you should repay the £150 if these conditions do not apply:

  • You were resident in the property on 1 April 2022 for which you are the registered Council Tax payer and for which payment has been sent (and so you were not residing elsewhere and the property was not empty)
  • The property is valued in Council Tax bands A to D. This includes property that is valued in band E but has an alternative valuation band of band D, as a result of the disabled band reduction scheme.

Overdrawn bank accounts

If the funds are being paid into a bank account that is ‘overdrawn’ and you do not wish the payment to reduce your overdraft, you can ask your bank to apply the funds against a particular bill (such as an energy bill) or use for a certain purpose. This is known as the ‘first right of appropriation.’

You should advise your bank that you are receiving a payment of £150 and that you wish it to be used for a specific purpose.

Returning the £150 payment

We urge residents to use the funds to help towards paying their energy bills. However, if you wish to return a payment or you are not eligible, you can return the money to our bank account as shown below:

Account name
Swindon Borough Council collection account
Sort code
Account number
Your name and “returned energy payment”

If you moved house before 1 April 2022 you should tell us about your change of address in addition to repaying the amount as specified above.

Help us to improve this website

Use this form to provide feedback on this webpage. Don't use it to contact us about a service or make a complaint. We will not reply, even if you include personal details such as your name and address. If you want us to reply, you should contact us in a different way.

What is your feedback for this webpage?

Give feedback about this page