Privacy Notices - Test and Trace Support payments Privacy Notice


You need to be aware of this Privacy Notice if you are making an application for a track and trace support payment.

What is a Privacy Notice?

A Privacy Notice is a statement issued by an organisation which explains how personal and confidential data about individuals is collected, used and shared.

Who is collecting and using your personal data?

Swindon Borough Council will act as a “Data Controller” for any personal data that you provide to us. We will ensure that the data given to us is processed in line with our Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 18) and the EU General Data Protection Regulations. (GDPR)

To find out more about Swindon Borough Council’s data protection policies please contact our Data Protection Officer. or in writing to Data Protection Officer, Civic Offices, Euclid Street, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN1 2JH.

Please note not providing your personal data may lead to you not being able to claim a track and trace support payment.

Your personal data – what is it?

Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”).

What personal data do we collect?

Swindon Borough Council will collect a range of data during the application phase for the Test and Trace Support payment scheme. This will include:

  • the title of the applicant 
  • the surname of the applicant
  • the forename of the applicant
  • the middle name or middle initial of the applicant
  • the date of birth of the applicant
  • the national insurance number
  • the address
  • the postcode
  • Test and Trace information – number if available and verification*
  • the start date of period of self-isolation due to coronavirus

Details of employment or self-employment

  • the location of work
  • the benefits being claimed
  • bank details and confirmation

*verfication provided via access to NHS Test and Trace data system (CTAS) or the Department for Work and Pensions system.

For parents and guardians applications

In addition to the above:

  • Child’s surname
  • Child’s forename of the applicant
  • Child’s middle name or middle initial
  • Child’s age
  • Child’s address and postcode
  • Child’s isolation period
  • Name of childcare setting or education establishment
  • Telephone number and email address of childcare setting or education establishment
  • Test and Trace information – number if available or documents to verify
How do we process your personal data?

Swindon Borough Council complies with its obligations under the GDPR by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.

Why do we need your personal information?

We need to use this information:

  • to ensure you are entitled to a track and trace support payment and enable payment to be made to you
  • to access Government records to check benefits information and possibly employment information
  • to contact employers to verify employment information and the type of work
  • to report information on payments to Central Government
  • to contact schools and childcare providers to verify a child is required to isolate
How the law allows us to use your information?

We are collecting your information to support and make track and trace support payments as required by the Government and the Department of Health and Social Care in order to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Who do we share your information with?

We may need to contact your employer to verify employment information.

For parent or guardian Test and Tracee applications, we need to contact childcare or education providers.

To validate your bank account details, we need to share relevant information you've given us with TransUnion. This will be used to ensure your support payment is paid to the correct bank account and to help prevent fraudulent use of support payments.

This is not a credit check and won't impact your credit rating.

More information on how TransUnion may use your data

We will share your information with Central Government for reporting on what grants Swindon Borough Council has paid.

We may also share your personal information when we feel there is a good reason that is more important than protecting your privacy. This does not happen often, but we may share your information in order to find and stop crime and fraud; or if there are serious risks to the public, our staff or to other professionals.

How do we protect your information?

We will do what we can to make sure we hold records about you (on paper and electronically) in a secure way, and we will only make them available to those who have a right to see them.

Examples of our security include:

  • encryption, meaning that information is hidden so that it cannot be read without special knowledge (such as a password). This is done with a secret code, or what is called a 'cypher'. The hidden information is said to then be 'encrypted'.
  • pseudonymisation, meaning that we will use a different name so we can hide parts of your personal information from view. This means that someone outside of the Council could work on your information for us without ever knowing it was yours.
  • controlling access to systems and networks allows us to stop people who are not allowed to view your personal information from getting access to it
  • training for our staff allows us to make them aware of how to handle information and how and when to report when something goes wrong
  • regular testing of our technology and ways of working including keeping up to date on the latest security updates (commonly called patches)
How long do we keep your personal information?

As payments are involved financial information may be retained for up to 7 years.

What you can do with your information?

We would normally expect to share what we record about you with you whenever we assess your needs or provide you with services.

However, you also have the right to ask for a copy of all the information we have about you and the services you receive from us. When we receive a request from you in writing, we must give you access to everything we have recorded about you, however, we cannot let you see any parts of your records that contain: 

  • confidential information about other people
  • data a professional thinks will cause serious harm to you or someone else’s physical or mental wellbeing
  • information that may stop us from preventing or detecting a crime

This applies to personal information that is in both paper and electronic records. If you ask us, we will also let others see your record (except if one of the points above applies).

If you cannot ask for your records in writing, we will make sure there are other ways that you can.

If you have any queries about access to your information contact

Your right to complain

In the event that you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Swindon Borough Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case. Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with our customer complaint procedure.

If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at You may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane


This website also contains information on data protection and your rights and remedies.

What if you do not provide personal data?

You are under no statutory obligation to provide personal data to Swindon Borough Council, but if you do not provide the data, we may not be able to process your request for a track and trace support payment.

How will we ensure compliance?

A yearly audit will take place on personal data to ensure that we remain legally compliant in accordance with current data protection legislation.

Main privacy notice

You are viewing the Privacy Notice for making an application for a Track and Trace Support payment.

Read the council's main Privacy Notice