Privacy Notices - Volunteering with Swindon SENDIASS
Swindon SENDIASS is an independent service commissioned by the Local Authority that offers information, advice and support to families of children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities, across Swindon.
As part of our advice and guidance tool as well as our Volunteer recruitment process, SENDIASS collects and processes personal data relating to personal situations and volunteering positions within the team.
We are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use that data and meeting our data protection obligations.
- What is a Privacy Notice?
A Privacy Notice is a statement issued by an organisation which explains how personal and confidential data about individuals is collected, used and shared.
- Who is collecting and using your personal data?
The Local Authority is our data controller and remains responsible for disposing of data in a lawful way.
- Your personal data – what is it?
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”).
- What personal data do we collect?
SENDIASS collects a range of data about you during the request for help, and volunteering process. This includes:
- Your name, address and contact details, as well as email address and telephone number.
- Details of relevant qualifications, skills, experience, memberships and work history.
- Work and/or character reference details.
We collect this data in a variety of ways. For example, data might be contained in application forms, CVs, your passport or other identity documents, or collected through interviews or other forms of assessment.
We may also collect personal data about you from third parties, such as references by former employers. We will seek data from third parties only once a casual worker job offer to you has been made and will inform you that we are doing so.
Personal data will be stored in a range of different places, including on your application record, and on other IT systems (including email). Any paper-based documentation can be scanned and uploaded onto the SENDIASS database.
- How do we process your personal data?
Swindon SENDIASS complies with its obligations under the GDPR by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data
- Why do we need your personal information?
- To have all the relevant information to hand when processing your request for help and advice.
- To register your interest in volunteering for our service.
- How the law allows us to use your information?
In accordance with article 6 of the GDPR, data processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation and is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the data controller.
- Who do we share your information with?
Unless we have your permission to do so, we won’t share your personal information with any organisations or individuals outside of Swindon SENDIASS, the only exception would be where a failure to share your personal information would lead to a risk of significant harm to you or others.
- How do we protect your information?
We take the security of your personal data seriously. We have internal policies and controls in place to ensure that your personal data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused or disclosed, and is not accessed except by our employees in the proper performance of their duties
- How long do we keep your personal information?
If your volunteering application is unsuccessful, SENDIASS will hold your data on file for six months after your application date. At the end of that period your data is deleted.
If your application for work is successful, personal data gathered during the recruitment process will be retained during your engagement with SENDIASS and for a further three years after your engagement has ended.
- What you can do with your information?
Unless subject to an exemption under GDPR you have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- The right to request a copy of your personal data which Swindon SENDIASS holds about you
- The right to request that Swindon SENDIASS corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date
- The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for Swindon SENDIASS to retain such data
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing
- The right to object to the processing of personal data
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office
For further details on how your information is used, how we maintain the security of your information, and your rights to access information we hold on you please contact GDPR_Sendiass@swindon.gov.uk.
- Your right to complain
In the event that you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Swindon SENDIASS, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case. Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with our customer complaint procedure.
If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office. You may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:
Information Commissioner’s Office
This website also contains information on data protection and your rights and remedies
- Main privacy notice
You are viewing the Privacy Notice for a application to volunteer with Swindon SENDIASS.