Wednesday, 16 April 2014

* * *

Refine search

Adult Social Care - Complaints and Comments

On this page: How to pay us a compliment or make a complaint about Adult Social Care.

Our Aim 

We want to provide good quality services, so if you have a compliment, comment or complaint, please tell us about it.  This will help us improve services and, if you have a complaint, it will give us the opportunity to put things right for you and learn from what you say.

Who Can Make a Comment or a Complaint?

We can accept a complaint from you if you are a service user, a potential service user, a carer, or are acting on behalf of one of these people.

Who Should I Contact?

You can talk to your Care Manager or key worker or manager about the problem.

Or Contact the Complaints Manager by:

  • Email at
  • Telephone 01793 463302
  • Write to her at Wat Tyler West 3, Beckhampton Street, Swindon. SN1 2JH 

You can also fill in the council’s Customer Service Online Feedback Form

You can also contact the Care Quality Commission if you have a complaint about a care provider such as a residential care home or an agency that provides help in your home. Contact them at: or telephone 03000 616161

Can I Get Help Making a Complaint?

You can ask a friend or relative to speak or write to us for you. We can put you in touch with other organisations that provide advocacy support. 

If you do not speak English, we can arrange for an interpreter to help you.

What Can I Complain About?

You can complain about anything you are unhappy with.  Some examples of what you might want to complain about include:

  • If we do not deliver a service on time
  • If you receive a poor quality service
  • The attitude or behaviour of staff
  • If you are unhappy with an assessment, care plan or review
  • Decisions you do not agree with

If you complain about something that happened more than 12 months ago we may not accept your complaint. If we decide not to accept it we will write and explain why.

What Happens When I Make a Complaint?

Most complaints can be sorted out by talking informally to the person responsible for providing you with a service. But if this isn’t possible or doesn’t solve the problem you can ask to make a formal complaint.

We will acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days. Someone will contact you to talk to you about your complaint and to agree a way to deal with it.  

If your complaint is particularly serious or complex, we may decide to order an independent investigation.

At the end of the investigation we will confirm our response to you in writing.

What If I am Still Not Happy?

You can return to us and ask us further questions if you are not happy with our response, or you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman at any time if you are not happy with the way we have handled your complaint.

To contact the Local Government Ombudsman:

         The Local Government Ombudsman
         PO Box 4771
         CV4 0EH

Where Can I get More Information about the Complaints Process? 

If you want more information about the complaints process, please contact the Complaints Manager via the details above.

©2014 Swindon Borough Council. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions