The Richard Jefferies Museum is housed in the farmhouse at Coate, where Richard Jefferies was born in 1848. Situated within the surroundings of Coate Water, the Museum features some of the memento's of Richard Jefferies (1848 -1887), one of England's most individual writers on nature and the countryside.
The Museum includes first editions of many of Richard Jefferies writings, the manuscript of 'Wood Magic' and family photographs and memorabilia. Parts of the building have been restored to create the atmosphere of a mid to late 19th Century farmhouse with a cheese room.
The Richard Jefferies Museum is open:
Admission to the museum is free. Please note however, the museum is not accessible for wheelchair users.
Further Information and Contact
Richard Jefferies House and Museum
Tel: 01793 466561
Parking is available at Coate Water. From the model railway there is a gap through the fence on the left. Walk up the path and turn left onto the road. Turn left again on the main road and the Museum is on your left, opposite the garage. This takes approx. 10 minutes to walk.
Alternatively, the Sun Inn have granted permission for visitors to use their car park when visiting the Museum.
The following websites offer more detailed information on Richard Jefferies: