Starting a business
Support and advice
If you are starting a new business in Swindon, you have access to a wide range of new business support services:
- GOV.UK - online guides and tutorials covering key business topics; Contracts Finder; Finance and Business Support finder. Also practical steps to setting up a business - registering, licensing, banking, VAT, NI and employing people.
- Growth hub Swindon and Wiltshire Growth Hub connects knowledge, funders, business support and the industry
- The Prince's Trust helps people aged 18 - 30 (unemployed or working less than 16 hours) with workshops, test trading, financial support and a mentor. Phone 0800 842842
- Business West represents and works with businesses across the region, delivering a range of support and events
- Thames Valley Chamber of Commerce
- The Federation of Small Businesses runs a number of events in Swindon and members can get information such as factsheets on starting and running a business
Business support service
- If you need start-up advice and are unsure where to go, contact the business support team on 01793 464747 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our team will be happy to help you.
Licences and permits
- You may need a licence or permit to run your business. Visit the Licences and Permits page for more information.
- You might need planning permission or building regulations approval for your business. Visit our planning page for more information.
- Business rates are charged on commercial properties. Rate relief can be providing to a variety of businesses including eligible small businesses. Find out more on our business rates page.
Business waste and recycling
- Businesses should either arrange a collection of their rubbish from their premises using a commercial contractor or through the council’s business waste service. For more information about the council’s service visit the Business and commercial waste page
- Get information on training staff on our skills page. The GOV.UK website can also offer advice on employing staff for the first time.
Selling to the council
- Find out more about selling to Swindon Borough Council.
Tax and National Insurance
- The HMRC online learning course for people starting their own business can help with questions about tax, National Insurance, business records and expenses