Thursday, 03 September 2015

* * *

Refine search

Animal Welfare - Road Traffic Accidents

The action that should be taken when an animal is involved in a road accident depends on the type of animal.

Dogs and Various Other Animals

If you hit a dog, causing injury or death, you must give your details (your own and/or the vehicle owner's name and address, and the registration number of the vehicle) to anyone having reasonable grounds for requiring them.

If this is not possible, you must report the accident to the Police as soon as possible, and within 24 hours.

The above information applies to:

  • Asses
  • Cattle
  • Dogs
  • Goats
  • Horses
  • Mules
  • Pigs
  • Sheep

If your dog is involved in an accident, then you may be held liable for any costs involved.

Cats and Poultry

Cats and poultry are classed as free roaming animals and therefore are not covered by the same legislation as described above.

Records of Accidents

We keep details of animals found killed on the roads. Please contact us if you think your pet may have been involved in an accident:

Tel: 01793 466139


©2014 Swindon Borough Council. All rights reserved. Terms and Condition